The Highlands-Douglass Neighborhood Association (HDNA) is a community organization overseen by a 16 member board elected by its members at the annual meeting. The board oversees several committees which work in specific areas to serve the neighborhood, including: beautification, communications, events, membership and safety. Among the events and activities of HDNA are:
- The Highlands-Douglass Big Rock Jazz & Blues Fest in Cherokee Park.
- Working with the City to preserve and improve the Douglass Community Center.
- The annual Old Fashioned Ice Cream Social on the grounds of the Douglass Community Center.
- Community reforestation and an annual program of residential tree planting.
- Working with 8th District Councilman Brandon Coan on issues affecting the neighborhood.
- Maintaining liaison with LMPD’s 5th District Police on issues of safety and security.
- Maintaining a presence on the Web, Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor and Instagram.
- A biannual newsletter, The Neighbor, keeping neighbors up to date on issues important to our community.
- A biweekly e-Newsletter to update folks on current goings-on in the neighborhood.
- Maintenance of two gardens, the Douglass Park garden and the rose garden along Bardstown Road.
- Working with our neighboring communities to ensure the integrity of the larger area.
In general, HDNA strives to serve in the best interests of the neighborhood. The association assists the neighborhood in understanding and making decisions about its collective future and responding with respect to proposed changes in zoning, development or other matters that could affect the nature and character of the neighborhood. HDNA has also advocated for more public input in areas that impact our neighborhood by requesting that public hearings and meetings be held at more opportune times in the affected area rather than during work hours at an inconvenient downtown location.
Your HDNA Board listens to your concerns and makes every effort to build on your talents and interests. We work to ensure our neighborhood continues to evolve in an intentional manner keeping our community vibrant, safe, and diverse.